If there’s one sin I see beginners committing more than any other it’s trying to learn guitar through learning songs
If you’re guilty of that there are some things you need to understand.
Firstly, most decent guitar players can learn a new song in about 5 – 10 minutes. Why? It’s because they aren’t faced with any technical issues with their guitar playing… all that work was done a long time ago.
They can already strum fluently, change chords, perform finger-style patterns or apply arpeggio picking through chords and so forth. So when it comes to applying those techniques to the chords in a song they can do it instantly… there’s actually very little to practice at all.
I hope you understand this because it’s so important. Spend you practice time sorting out the technical issues you have on guitar rather than trying to learn songs. Leave them for later when it’s going to be dead easy.
Think of it in this way…
It’s like trying to learn to drive while driving to work in morning rush hour. Most people don’t do that! They separate those two things.
First you take the time to learn the technical skills you need to drive then you start driving for real on the public roads.
What I want you to get is that there’s a clear separation between practicing guitar and playing guitar.
First you get the technical side of your guitar playing happening then you’ll be free to apply it to all the songs you like. And it will all feel so much easier to do.
Continue Reading > What To Do When You Get Bored Or Frustrated With Practicing
01. Stage 1 Guitar Practice – Mental Programming
02. Stage 2 Guitar Practice – Metronome & Pressure Points
03. Practicing Chords And Strumming
04. How To Structure A Practice Session
05. Frequently Asked Questions About Practicing
- How Long Should You Practice Guitar Each Day?
- Is It Better To Practice Guitar Daily Or To Take One Day Off Each Week?
- How Long Does It Take To See Results From Guitar Practice?
- What If I Simply Can’t Make Progress No Matter How Much Practice I Do?
06. How To Construct A Practice Schedule – You Have To Be Realistic!
07. A Secret The Pro’s Would Rather You Didn’t Know – The Art Of “Mental Practice”
08. Why Learning Songs Is The WORST WAY TO PRACTICE GUITAR!
09. What To Do When You Get Bored Or Frustrated With Practicing